CUPS (Warning! Super Long Post)

I want to talk to you about DOL. For my friends who are not teachers reading this blog, it stands for Daily Oral Language. In traditional DOL, the teacher shows students some predetermined sentences that contain errors in grammar and conventions (spelling and punctuation). The students and teacher work to correct the mistakes orally.

Y'all, DOL doesn't work. Maybe the kids can identify some of the errors in those sentences, but they never transfer over that knowledge into their own writing. Correct a sentence from DOL one morning and you will still find students making the same errors over and over in their own work five minutes later.



So what to do? Students do need to be able to write with correct grammar and conventions. How do we teach them to do so without resorting to DOL?

We teach them in the context of their own writing. I use a system I call CUPS. I didn't invent it. I read about the idea about a gazillion years ago and have adapted it to work for me. The other teachers I have worked with who have implemented it also will tell you that it works.

Here's how it goes:

CUPS stands for Capitalization, Usage, Punctuation, and Spelling. Each student has a journal/ composition book/spiral titled CUPS. Each morning (in my class), the students come in and write a few sentences on any topic they choose. How many? I required 3 from my third graders and 4 from my fourth graders. They needed to write good sentences, not just I like my ____. When students approached me to tell me stories about what happened the night before or what they were excited about, I told them to write about it in CUPS. They need to skip lines as they wrote (this allows for editing.)

After they have their sentences written, students check them over for CUPS. This requires the student to evaluate each sentence for capital letters at the beginning and for any proper nouns; subject/verb agreement and other grammar issues (more on that later); correct punctuation at the ends of sentences and in contractions, possessive nouns, etc.; and correct spelling of grade-level appropriate words. (I encourage them to take risks by using interesting words and correct misspellings of those words without counting off.)

After they are sure they have corrected any errors, they meet with a partner. This part of CUPS is incredibly important to teach and reinforce. They must peer-edit. This is not trade-and-correct someone else's work. They must look together at one partner's work, checking for errors. If a student's partner finds an error, the partner must explain what is wrong and help the student correct it. Then the partner writes "Checked by" and signs his/her name at the bottom of the page.

After the partners check one student's work, they repeat with the other student's.

Then each child brings their work to me. I check for any errors and deduct one point for each one. Checking individually takes only a minute and affords me the opportunity to conduct a quick mini-lesson on an error. The child has an opportunity to earn 25 points each day, for a weekly total of 100. (We don't do CUPS on Friday.) It becomes a game to them to try to bring me a 100% correct entry each day.

I promised to tell you a little more about the usage part of CUPS. As I introduce grammar concepts in writing workshop, I require students to use them the following days/weeks in CUPS. For example, after we have learned about compound sentences, I tell them they must include one compound sentence in their CUPS. I also make them draw a star beside the compound sentence - just a way to double check that they included one.

CUPS works because it is editing the child's own writing. The students have a purpose for correcting errors. And the knowledge transfers over to those editing passages we have on our state tests in Texas. And one added bonus is that you will learn so much about your students from what they choose to write.

I am sure that this post is not as crystal-clear to you as it is to me, so please ask any questions you may have and I will gladly answer them.

20 comments

  1. It's actually quite clear. Well done! I'm looking at using Daily 5 in my class this year and I think this would work nicely. I'll have to think a bit on how to make it work for the most effect, but thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time is always an issue, I know. I use this as my morning work as students come into the class. Then the students don't all finish at the same time, giving me time to conference with them.

      Delete
  2. YAY I love this and THIS YEAR i am using it!!! YAY

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH it drives me NUTS when I'm looking through rough drafts and they don't skip lines!!! Hello??? Where am I supposed to fit all my edits? Or peers either? lol... Enjoyed reading this & great strategy!!
    Ann Marie Smith @ Innovative Connections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They learn pretty quick to skip lines on drafts when they end up having to recopy during revising. It's a tough lesson for some of them! I don't let the write on the back of drafts, either (but they can in their CUPS spirals because we aren't taking them through the writing process.)

      Delete
  4. Ok, I love this! Thank you so much. Can't wait to use it in my class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it works for you if you try it!

      Delete
  5. I love this! So simple, but it's a great way to get them to correct their own writing.

    The Dalton Gang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works as well for you as it does for me.

      Delete
  6. Thank you! I am using this as part of morning work this year. It is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great great great! I already call editing CUPS when we are in writing workshop, so using it as a separate entity makes so much sense and fits perfectly! I am your newest follower - thanks for the insight here!
    www.fifthisfabulous.blogspot.com
    Joann

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've used this for years. Your right, it works! I love your idea of the 25 points/day, though. I may update my routine! Thanks for the idea.

    ✿Lynn
    Inside this Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grade helps keep the kids accountable - and I need grades! LOL

      Delete
  9. Great ideas! How do you hold the peer accountable whe editing? In the past, my students will glance it over and annuonce that it looks good to them. They are not invested in it. Also, I have students that always want the "smart girl" to edit their paper...they will literally line up near her desk before I can break up the mob....any suggestions????? Thanks in advance!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I have the peers sign their name on the work. This part is really critical in modeling. I promote a culture of teamwork and use that to hold all students accountable. I also require them to meet with whomever is finished when they are finished - no waiting for a particular person. I suppose you could require them to confer with a different person each day. Thanks for the questions!

      Delete
  10. Great to hear how you handle this. It applies equally well in junior high French as a Second Language class, by the way. Fantastic "bellwork" routine for teachers on a cart to implement for the couple of minutes it takes to get from one end of the hallway to another and get set up, to keep the kids accountable for beginning work promptly.

    Tammy @ Teaching FSL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am all for bellwork! I actually used this same idea when I taught 7th grade English for a year.

      Delete

Back to Top